Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Chick-Fil-A Copycat Recipe -- 3 Smart Points

A few weeks ago I visited a different location for a Weight Watcher meeting.  The leader asked me if I'd ever tried marinating chicken in pickle juice and said it tasted just like Chik-Fil-A chicken.

While looking for recipes online I found Chick-Fil-A Copycat Recipe.  This is what I fixed for dinner tonight using an air fryer.  I used 2 large Smart Chicken breasts, cut into chunks.  Instead of two whole eggs, I used one egg and one egg white beaten with a couple of tablespoons of water. The flour and spices were combined in a plastic bag, the chicken was added after dipping in the egg mixture, then I shook the bag to coat it with flour.

My chicken chunks didn't get browned as well as I'd like.  I have a oil mister ordered and next time I air fry something I'll mist it with oil first.  Since there's no added oil and I omitted one egg yolk and the milk, the points are really low.

The chicken turned out juicy and it really does taste a lot like Chick-Fil-A.

 Air Fryer Chick-fil-A Chicken  
  • 2 Boneless/Skinless Chicken Breasts pounded
  • 1/2 cup Dill Pickle Juice
  • 2 Eggs   Used 1 whole egg and 1 egg white
  • 1/2 cup Milk   Used water instead
  • 1 cup All Purpose Flour  Used a lot less than one cup
  • 2 Tablespoons Powdered Sugar    Omitted
  • 1 teaspoon Paprika
  • 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon Celery Seed ground
Spicy Option
  • 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper for spicy sandwiches
Instructions
  1. Place chicken into a Ziploc Baggie and pound, so that the whole piece is the same thickness, about 1/2 inch thick.
  2. Cut chicken into two or three pieces (depending on size).
  3. Place chicken back into Ziploc baggie and pour in pickle juice.  Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
  4. In a medium bowl, beat egg with the milk.
  5. In another bowl, combine flour and all spices.
  6. Using tongs, coat chicken with egg mixture and then into flour mixture, making sure pieces are completely coated.  Shake off excess flour.
  7. Cook at 340 degrees for 6 minutes.  Using silicone tongs, carefully flip the chicken and cook for 6 more minutes.
  8. Raise the temperature to 400 degrees and cook for two minutes on each side.
Smart Points
4 ounces Smart Chicken breast               1
egg wash and flour coating                     2

No comments: