Monday, May 22, 2017

Barbecue Sauce -- 0 Smart Points

My favorite home made barbeque sauce recipe has a ketchup base and a lot of brown sugar.  Ketchup has so much sugar in it that the sauce is really high in points.  I thought I'd experiment with making some sugar free sauce today and this is what I came up with.

A 15 ounce can of tomato sauce is the base in my recipe.  It turned out pretty good and, in my opinion, has a much better flavor than the sugar free G. Hughes barbeque sauce.  The G. Hughes sauce is over $3.50 a bottle here so the tomato sauce recipe is definitely less expensive.

Heinz reduced sugar ketchup is another alternative to using the tomato sauce.  I bought a bottle of it and will try making a batch later using it and adjusting the Truvia.  The ketchup is really expensive compared to regular ketchup so I'll figure the cost into the process.



BARBECUE SAUCE  -- 0 Smart Points

1-15 oz. can Hunts tomato sauce
½ tsp. white vinegar
1 tsp. liquid smoke
Dash of Worcestershire sauce
Dash of Cayenne pepper
4 tsp. brown sugar Truvia
½ tsp.  Williams chili seasoning

Mix well.  Heat thoroughly in microwave.  Let cool.  Store in refrigerator.
Makes approximately 2 cups.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you! I can't wait to try this.

Anonymous said...

I made it with a couple of additions - minced garlic, onion powder, apple cider vinegar vs white, and I increased the liquid smoke. Your recipe gave me some really idea's - thank you!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting this recipe. I have been looking for a recipe like this one because I am a diabetic and it is so easy to prepare. Again thanks!

mellosma said...

I added about 1/2 teaspoon of mustard. And some garlic and onion....

mellosma said...

Thank you...I added 1/2 teaspoon of mustard. and some onion and garlic powder.